Friday 8 January 2010

'Tis the season, and all that, part 2

And we're back. Starting to get worried about that video in the last post, it works fine on the computer... I've got one in this post as well, so I'll cross my fingers.

Tokyo, then.

Shinkansens are really quite immense. The fact that we got to Tokyo in 2 hours is a pretty amazing feat, isn't it. We were met at the station by Yujiro, my good friend and fellow ex-Hermit's Croft 5/2-er, who had very kindly offered to show us round the city. After an actually very nice meal of cold soba and tempura'd vegetables we set off to our first stop of Roppongi, where we would be staying for the duration of the trip. Roppongi's a pretty interesting place, everything is western and expensive, but it was a nice place to be. The hotel was modest but comfortable, and very close to the metro station. Took me a little while to get my head around there being a subway, metro and JR set of lines, but I think I had it by the end. Dumping the baggage in our rooms we set off to Harajuku and Meiji Jingu.



That place was so busy. So very, very busy. Harajuku contained the most insane number of people in one place that I have ever seen, all of them hunting for clothes, crepes and stations that would get them to other, equally crowded sectors of Tokyo. What was even more startling was the difference between the main street's busy frantic energy and the stillness of the little shrine we found in the center of Harajuku, practically devoid of life. If you're interested, my luck for the year ranks 4th out of the 5 possible outcomes, which translated as 'okay luck'. Take that as you will.

Next was Shibuya, which was right nearby, and almost equally busy. That place is a warren, let me tell you, and finding a simple cup of coffee became a terrifying challenge very quickly. Fortunately Dad's heart was already warmed by the fact that there was a Topshop on one of the main streets, so he could go one without one for a little longer. After wandering around for a bit we decided to head back to Roppongi and take in the sight from the top of the tower in Roppongi Hills, which may be the tallest building in Tokyo for all I know. It certainly felt like it. Ascending 52 floors in 30 seconds was also pretty entertaining, it was like taking off in a plane. Unfortunately, to actually see the sight we had to buy tickets for the art museum just above it (why the art museum, which didn't have windows, was above a viewing platform of Tokyo from a great height I will never understand). The art museum was... well it was an art museum. And I hate art museums. Especially this kind, this modern arty, 'ooh look how daring we are being' type of museum that ends up just being creepy. Always reminds me that I don't get modern art, and that makes me apathetic and resentful. Plus half the stuff didn't even look very impressive; I could have easily made it. It was kinda balanced by the immense view of Tokyo, though, and it was truly immense, so I guess I shouldn't complain.


All that was left was to have dinner at Wolfgang Puck's, interrogate Andy over the private details of his girlfriend and go to bed.

Now, the next day had me off on my own, meeting up with Natasha in Ueno and checking out things in Tokyo that were worth checking out. Ueno Zoo, for example, was really pretty good, and it was a long time since either of us had been to a zoo so it was a great trip out. Highlights included the Red Pandas, Galapagos Tortoise and this big, dinosaur-era-looking bird whose name I forgot but whose Japanese name means 'snake eater bird'. Here are some pictures:




After that we decided on visiting the national museum, only to find it shut, and so headed to the pond to find a Flea Market that met there every once in a while. The sort of stuff on offer was really hilarious; Natasha bought a golden tyrannosaurus, and I was severly tempted by a Renaissance pistol and Russian military helmet. We also spent a good time listening to the swansong of a lighter with Chairman Mao's face on it that played the Chinese national anthem when you opened it, except the batteries were all but dead and the result was actually quite tragic.

Afterwards we JR'd our way to Akihabara's Electric Town, which was something else. SofMaps as far as the eye could see! We spent a bit of time in the arcade beating up a Taiko machine and shooting terrorists in a very un-PC way, before checking the shops. Finally saw a Gamers that was at least big enough to be called a proper shop but... uh... Let's just say the first floor was littered with the sort of things I wouldn't be caught dead buying. Things like that were hanging from the ceiling, the walls, built into pyramids on tables in the middle the floor... It was actually a bit disappointing in the end, as the rest of the floors were nothing more than what you would find in a normal anime merchandising shop, such as the Animate across the street. Also bought crepes at a shop that looped its own jingle continuously from morning to night, causing us to bring the sanity of the poor girl who worked there into question, and looked at more action figures from dated children's shows than I care to remember. Also bought a PS2 game at a cheap second-hand game shop. More on that later.

The next morning I spent alone, seeking out the Tokyo Pokemon Center near the port sector of Tokyo. That place is pretty difficult to find, let me tell you; it's a sizable shop but is on the second floor of an office building and is hard to spot unless you know what you're looking for. Ended up with a little Pikachu (first new product of the year) and a pair of t-shirts that were on offer sporting the second generation of Legendary Pokemon. Also headed off to a place called Nakano Broadway, a shopping center that apparently dealed in geek-oriented things. I'm sure it would have been great had everything not been closed until 12, and as I needed to meet up the the family at 12.30 for a last lunch together I didn't get to see anything. I did get to play Gundam: Kizuna again, though, first time in a long while. The Zaku II Custom is a beautiful machine, let me tell you.



A solemn lunch at First Kitchen followed by a tearful farewell at the front of the hotel. It was great to have my family here, and I look forward to my return to the UK now more than ever.

Then it was off to Roppongi Hills' Toho Cinema to watch Avatar with Natasha and Natasha's housemates: Antoine, Michel and P...Pilie? How do you spell that girl's name? Anyway, I'm not going to spoil the plot for anyone, but lets just say Avatar pays more than a passing resemblence to more than a few films I could care to mention. It looks stunning, but the graphics are often invisible behind a thick fog of cheesy cliches and unlikable characters. It was okay. Still, didn't matter, because it gave us something to talk about at the izakaya afterwards. And also at the Ruby Room, a live music bar which had some pretty good acts and was pretty good fun. It showed Fantasia behind the bar, and this film is creeeeepy. Do not want. Anyway, more teary farewells as I left for Roppongi and my last morning in Tokyo.

And that's it, really. My family holiday. It was amazing, I must say, through and through.

So, other news. The day I got back I got a text from Mark planning a karaoke trip that evening, which I was really up for. Unfortunately, due to limited numbers we switched plans at the last minute to instead go and see a film, which at my behest ended up being Macross F. I was so looking forward to seeing that film, but... urgh. It looked good, and the music at least sounded good, but they didn't have to change the whole flipping thing! Again, don't want to ruin it for anyone, but certain important scenes are left out or changed dramatically. Like the very last fight! My all-time favourite bit and they turn it into this stupid music concert thing! Inconceivable! I tell you, I'm not going to plan on seeing the second one. I'm also starting to have growing doubts about the Nanoha movie, which still looks great, but if they do the same thing there and remove some of the stupendous fight scenes to make way for Nanoha voicing her desire to make friends by beating the living daylights out of them I will not be happy. I want lasers! That's all I ask for!

Term is officially underway, but so far I've only had 2 days of it. Monday is also cancelled thanks to coming of age ceremonies, so a group trip to Osaka is in the works. Really looking forward to that!

That's it. That's all I have to say. Thanks for reading!

-----

昨日の新年会は楽しかったぞ!学生も先生も楽しがった。それも、よっぱらいイイさんはいつも面白い!
皆さん、今年もよろしく!

No comments:

Post a Comment