Wednesday 16 September 2009

Being called an 'Alien' is rather insulting...

Embarrassing Moment #3


And it's a big one today, folks. EM3 is bringing the wrong sized photos to the Alien Registration Office, meaning I didn't get my Alien Residency Permit, meaning I didn't get a bank account, meaning I didn't get a phone, meaning I still can't make decent plans with others, meaning I'll probably end up a social recluse and live out the rest of my life as a super robot obsessed hikkikomori. Until tomorrow, that is.

-----

Very irritating, that.

Anyway, it's day 2 of orientation, time to get you guys caught up. Day 1 started nice and early, but I woke up even earlier to set off. Not early enough, it seems, as I only just made it to the placement test (written). Now I know, though, it won't happen again. The test went very smoothly, without me having to think too much about answers until difficult level 2, where I couldn't do any. But that's just fine.

Afterwards was a very lengthy introduction, including a rather monstrous degree of paperwork that I did a bit of today, as well as a short church service commemorating the start of term for us wee gaijin. The whole thing was very austere, but in the state we were all in after the test I don't think it was particularly well received.

Then there was a small gathering with food and drink, which was nice, and then we went home. Mark and Matt (it was Matt) came back with Benjamin (fellow Shuugakukansha) and I to see the place, as they wanted to move. I can tell you now that their plans fall through. Then I went to bed.

Today was the placement test (spoken), which went rather well. Messed up a few compounds, but I think I got my desired Level 4-ness across, which was nice. Also got my anime enthusiasm across - they didn't seem fussed. I guess it is Japan, after all. Then I had lunch with some new friends, and we gathered in one of the big lecture halls to be put into groups, where a Japanese student would help us with our Alien Registration (and you already know how well that went). Turns out I was in the group with Aki-sempai, a welcome surprise, as well as fellow Nichibun classmates Marisa (from Germany) and K...Kay (??) from New York, who was way better than I was.

So now I know how to set up a bank account and put money in and out, for what little good it'll do me without an Alien Residency Permit... I also know that tomorrow we meet out classmates for the first time, and can sign up for 'extra' classes if we're Level 5 or more. Those're classes in Japanese for Japanese students. Probably not relevant for me, so Ben and I are off to get our ARPs (he forgot his photos, too. It's good to not be alone...) and bank accounts, then phones and maybe bikes. An expensive day, you see.

In the coming days we'll be signing up for proper classes, which have all kinds of topics. There's even a 'History of Manga and Anime' one. You can probably guess my reaction to seeing that.

Anyway, there's a party outside and I'm invited. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment