Thursday 17 September 2009

Pete's linguistic capability data has been added to the DoshishaDex!

Pete Level 3
LINGUIST-Type Pokemon

Special Ability: Kyoto City Health Insurance
(Battle prize money increases as the Pokemon is injured)


Anyway...

So yeah, Level 3. Can't say I'm 100% thrilled, I was kinda gunning for a 4, but by the looks of the class this is where I belong. I also have a lot of friends in this group, which is a good surprise.

But with a Level of less-than-4, I can't do the anime course this semester...

...

Yeah, not happy about that. What, they think I don't have the Japanese required to appreciate manga? Hah! I guess I could force the point if I really wanted, but I trust their judgement, and I get the feeling that a University course on manga will, despite all obstacles against it, make manga dull.

That and I'm scared to confront the staff.

Speaking of scary confrontations, I got a notice today saying that a package couldn't be delivered, the long-awaited GPS for my PSP. Not that I really need it anymore, eh? But hey, I'm sure I can find a use for it. But I have to call the mail service and book in a new time before the 22nd, which is going to be difficuuuuuult. I'm also NOT free until the 21st, which is cutting it a bit fine. Maybe I can get Ono-san to do it for me... but I'm a bit scared of talking to her, too, after last night's raucous nomikae.

Ah yes, I should talk about that. Started off very quiet, with just three gaijin and three Japanese fellows from 'Cosmopolitan', the Doshisha circle for Japanese people wanting to befriend foreign students. All three were really great people. Can't remember their names, though. Anyway, Kevin soon arrived with friends, lugging a box of cheap beer, and stuff started to kick off.

Ever played Beer Pong? I have now. A great game it is, too. Shan't explain here, it'd take a little while, but it was a fun game. We were then joined by the Chinese, Korean and Taiwanese students from upstairs, and we watched Kevin's two friends attempt a Power Hour. Something else I won't explain here. Neither succeeded.

Back on track, we got a speech about course details, and were taught how to apply for the additional courses available. I'm going for Intercultural Communication, a course on communicating well between cultural gaps; Japanese Society, which is recent history and traditions; and a Japanese Language Seminar, which trains us for JLPT level 2. Then there's 3 hours of language coursework every weekday, plus Japanese Culture lessons on Monday afternoons, which'll be fun. I think there's something else, but I can't remember.

Other things of note today include the acquisition of an Alien Registration... Request card, which is as good as the real thing until the real thing arrives in October. The banks seemed to be shut today, so I couldn't get my account sorted, though I did get the name 'picce' from the Nichibun office for a phone rental company. Going to Google it. Also got a 5%-off-Uni-services card!

Now I'm hungry, and Gym Leader 4 calls. Thanks again for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment